The 4th Annual LaxFest 5v5 held on October 15, 2017 raised over $31,000 for the Peter Kienzle Fund of The Fighting Back Scholarship Program (FBSP). The Fighting Back Scholarship Program is an organization based in Malvern that assists individuals recovering from a life-changing illness or injury, and are without the finances needed to participate in a rehabilitative exercise program.
The early morning hosted twenty-six players from the Quakers/Philadelphia intermixed with 8 Conestoga Youth Boys teams in 4th and 5th grade – all playing together to compete in two championship games. The afternoon hosted 29 girls teams of approximately 200 players – representing Quix Stix, HHH, Phantastix, Philly Blast, NXT, STEPS, Lower Bucks County, and Eyekonz – Philadelphia – in grades 3-8. Phantastix, NXT, and HHH won the championship games.
Thank you to all Conestoga players, parents, and coaches who volunteered throughout the day. We are grateful to and extend heartfelt thanks to the following individuals for donating their time and talents to making the LaxFest a big success!
Dynamic Warm up
Mike McGee – Head Coach and Certified Trainer, C4 Performance Training, 20 years of fitness experience, Former NCAA athlete, Studied Exercise Physiology at Temple University.
Jay Bush – Certified Athletic Trainer, Aspire Sports Medicine
- Josie Ferri – Head Coach – Episcopal Academy – 2016 State Champions, Director – Philly Blast Lacrosse, Assistant Coach- Villanova University – 2013, Haverford College – All American – 4x Regional All American and All Conference
- Brooke Fritz – Head Coach – Radnor High School – 2017 PIAA State Champions – 2016 PIAA Runner Up Champions, Director of STEPS Lacrosse/Philadelphia, All American at Bates College
- Kate Henwood – Director – NXT Girls Lacrosse, Head Coach -UC-Davis/Division I, Head Coach – Garnet Valley – winning back to back PIAA State Championships, Assistant Coach – Villanova University, 2x All-10 Conference Player/Captain at LaSalle University
- Amanda Kammes – Head Coach – Abington High School, Director – NXT Girls Lacrosse Events, Assistant Coach – UC-Davis/Division I, Assistant Coach – Garnet Valley with back to back PIAA State Championships
- Colleen Magarity – Head Coach – Penn Charter, Director of HHH Lacrosse, Drafted to UWXL 2016/2017, Assistant Coach – University of Colorado, 3x National Champion at Northwestern University – NCAA All-Tournament Team/ACC Conference All-Tournament Team – 2011, Philadelphia Athlete of the Year – 2007, U-19 USA Gold Medal Winner – 2007
- Amy Orcutt – Head Coach – Conestoga High School – 2017 District 1 Champions and Central League Champions, 2016 PIAA State Champions and Central League Champions, NCAA Final Four participant and ACC All-Tournament Team at UNC, Conestoga Hall of Fame, Coach of the Year – West Chester Daily Local
About the Peter Kienzle Fund
The Peter Kienzle Fund was established in honor of Peter Kienzle, husband, father and cherished member of our lacrosse community, who was known for his great humor; his penchant for assigning pirate nicknames to friends and more importantly, his “never quit” approach to life and his fight against cancer.
The Peter Kienzle Fund annually awards four to five scholarships to individuals who are clients of the FBSP, giving these individuals the financial support necessary to continue with their rehabilitative treatment. The scholarships awarded are based on financial need, but the recipients are also individuals who have steadfastly demonstrated a commitment to overcoming the limitations caused by their injury or illness with Courage, Desire, and Perseverance. The FBSP’s clients include veterans and civilians, all of whom have remarkable stories of set-backs, goals and their own unique successes.
FBSP’s success depends greatly on the support of our community. If you are interested in supporting the Peter Kienzle Fund, and to learn more about the Fighting Back Scholarship Program, please visit: www.fightingbacksp.org, where you will also find stories of past recipients. To learn more about the Stoga LaxFest please visit: www.stogalaxfest.com.